Monday, March 7, 2011

Cologne

From Berlin we made the long (and I mean very long) drive to Cologne. We were mainly interested in seeing perhaps the most beautiful cathedral in Germany. I have a distant cousin named Astrid (see Bremen) who lived not far from Cologne. She met us at the cathedral and served as our tour guide. The cathedral was breathtaking. Astrid insisted that I must climb the stairs to the top of the spire to view the city from up there. Later we also saw an interesting bridge across the Rhine where lovers or newlyweds lock there love forever by attaching a padlock to the bridge and throwing the key into the Rhine. We spent the evening at Astrid's flat in Dueseldorf. The next day Captain Kahl had to be at work and I had an invitation to Bremen. So we split up. I took the train alone to Bremen while the rest headed back to Frankfurt.

No comments: